Topics

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Poached Eggs and Veggie Hash

Tonight, I wanted to use up some of the stuff I had on hand for dinner. Just didn't want to run out to the store, despite the balmy 13 degrees. Well, it was partly motivated by the pathetic balance in my checking account also, but that's another story.

Ahem.


Back to dinner. I wanted to use up some eggs, and this is what I came up with. Of course, the possibilities with this are endless. Just depends on what you have on hand, or whatever you're in the mood for. I even sprinkled a little feta cheese on the top of mine tonight, because it called to me, but it was a bit  over-powering. I probably won't do that again, but I bet some cheddar would be good.


Poached Eggs and Veggie Hash

4 small potatoes
2 carrots
1 tablespoon olive oil (or ½ & ½ olive oil and butter)
2 ribs celery
2 green onions
4 eggs

Dice potatoes and carrots into ¼” pieces. Heat olive oil (& butter, if using) in a medium-sized skillet until hot. Add potatoes and carrots. Cook, stirring infrequently (this will help the potatoes get crispy) until they are almost tender. Dice celery into ¼” pieces and thinly slice green onion, add both to pan, now stir often.

Meanwhile, heat water in egg poacher and spray or butter the egg compartments. When the water begins to boil, get eggs from fridge and kick yourself when you see the partial green pepper in there and think about how good THAT would have been in the hash. Add eggs to poacher and cook to desired done-ness (about 5 min for soft, 8-9 minutes for firmer yolks).

If you don't have an egg poacher, heat a saucepan about ½ full of water. When the water is just about boiling, crack the eggs gently into the water (watch out for the hot steam!). Lower heat to simmer, and cook to desired done-ness (about 5 min for soft, 8-9 minutes for firmer yolks).

Arrange ½ of hash on each of two plates and top with 2 poached eggs.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Best post yet! I have never had nor made poached eggs now I know how. The veggie hash looks great (I agree the green peppers would have been awesome!).
    Good thing my breakfast is almost done, this made me really hungry!

    ReplyDelete